Thursday, October 29, 2009

Have a nice trip...see you next fall!

Harvard Health Publications
tells me that our balance tends to erode with time...that, for weekend athletes, lost equilibrium can mean more spills on the slopes or wipeouts in the surf...or, for the sedentary, it can bring a surprise encounter with the sidewalk.

Apparently, training for a half marathon (or lack thereof these days) doesn't count as a "weekend athlete" because my mishaps these days are more relative to a chance encounter with the sidewalk...ahem...car door, wall...whatever.

So, I'm on my way home the other night. Mind you, it's been raining. I park...on the slab these days. Ike did a number on our back yard and I no longer have a carport or decking of any kind...just the hard cement and muddy ground. Getting out of car...arms loaded, quick Taco Bell dinner and drink in tow. I'm making it up the steps and the past sedentary weeks take effect. My feet stumble, apparently over themselves, and as I'm reaching for the door handle...slow motion sets in. I totally miss the grab and fall down three steps flat backed in the mud :).

I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. Not sure of whether I've broken anything, except my pride...I try to get up but am stuck and laughing so hard I just sit and enjoy the moment, wishing I could've seen it happen. I finally found my phone and called Trey to come to the back door. He got a good laugh and I got some good bruises.

It's been a while since I've had a "real" fall...so much for the fake!!

lesson #1: take time to laugh at yourself every once in a while.

lesson #2: getting off your duff will help you stay on your feet.

1 comment: