Saturday, July 3, 2010

4 Reasons I Adore the 4th

Even though I love Jesus and all that Christmas encompasses, of course...I have to admit that the 4th of July is quite possibly my most favorite holiday. Not to mention that July is also my birthday month and the epitome of summer!

Here are four reasons I adore the Fourth:

1. INDEPENDENCE
How can you not be proud to be an American when you realize what our Forefathers did for this country and the values they founded it upon? Words like freedom, liberty and sacrifice... Our country was founded on Godly principles and I'm thankful I have the right granted to me by our men and women in the armed forces to be able to freely worship Him!

2. MUSIC
The songs of America just makes me so proud and of course bring on a tear or two when I think about their meaning...

This Land is My Land
Battle Hymn of the Republic
My Country, Tis of Thee
(last verse)
Our father’s God to Thee,

Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom’s holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King!
God Bless the USA
The Star Spangled Banner
America the Beautiful
(1st & 3rd verses)

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
Oh beautiful, for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
‘Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

3. FOOD
Cookouts with hotdogs & hamburgers. Watermelon. Anything decorated with whip cream, blueberries and strawberries in true American Flag fashion. I love it!

4. FIREWORKS
Ok, this is really my favorite part. I ADORE fireworks. Not so much me shooting them off. I just want to sit and watch and listen. I love that distinctive "poof" when a firework is launched. I love the anticipation of the boom. I LOVE the crackle as the glitter and shimmer fall to the ground. I love looking over at a kid's face...the booms come & go and with every lit sky, their face illuminates with a sparkle in their own eye.

Are you ready yet?!
Grab your bug spray, lawnchairs and sparklers...
Don your USA shirt from Old Navy :)...
Hang the Star Spangled Banner with pride...

It's time to celebrate your country!

1 comment:

  1. celebrating the 4th of july in canada just isn't the same. boo.

    ReplyDelete