Thursday, February 25, 2010

caring or CrEEpY?

As I stepped into my favorite local Huntsville eatery a few days ago,
I scrambled into line as usual to order a scrumptious lunch.

About that time, you can always count on a line and a handful of people were already in place. In dining solitude, first instinct = people watching. Two in particular had entered just in front of me and had some paperwork in tow.

Are they married? ...she looks a little young for him.
Are they co-workers? ...their interaction is a little awkward.

No need for a menu...I patiently wait in line, easily distracted by each ring of the doorbell and every "order up" proclamation.

Back to cute black-jacket girl and man in overcoat.
I spy a stray hair on her jacket. No matting in the fabric...merely hanging on the back ready to be wisped away by a member of her party without a second thought.
That's it. A quick snatch and toss and "we" can all rest easy.

Dang you man in overcoat!
This will never happen as long as you are "her party". It has now become my duty to be the hair remover. Will your rapid work-mode glances in my direction interfere with this duty you've obliviously passed on?

Yes! Yes they will! This is awkward.
I've waited too long. I'm past the point of "helpful". This has no longer become a mindless task that we as women have done a million times. Now, I've been staring at the hair for well over 3-4 minutes. This is ridiculous.

I've made way too big a deal out this. I'm going in. They're about to order...
Turning...no eye contact with man in overcoat.
Swipe, throw, keep looking down.
Done :).

whew.

The question at hand...
caring
a state of mind in which one is troubled - to make provision or look out for

or
creepy
to sneak up behind someone without their knowledge
- to move or behave timidly - weird

I fear there was a cross-over.

1 comment: